Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New Zealand Cruise



Sailing out of Sydney Harbour
 

Well December saw me take a much needed break from work and together with my Mum, headed off on a cruise to New Zealand.  Mum and I had a fabulous time and found the cruise on the Volendam every bit as good as we expected it to be.  I have come to the conclusion though that sailing on the open seas is not necessarily for me.  While the weather wasn't too bad on the way over, I still managed to get just a little bit sea sick - just enough to put me off my food until I could get the Kwells into me!!


Mum - Managed to climb half way to Oban

We did a bit of sight seeing at every port and lots of shopping.    First stop was Oban and although there was not much to see (big hill had to be tackled to get to the town on the other side).  We did manage to make it half way and I climbed to the top of the hill so I could get a photo of the other side.  Then we took off in a much smaller boat for a tour of Patterson Inlet.  It was very interesting.

Did a wonderful tour in Dunedin, complete with Scottish tour guide.  He told wonderful tales.

Loved Napier and thoroughly enjoyed getting a hire car and driving to Rotorua - even getting lost on the way back and seeing much more of the island than we anticipated.  Unfortunately the weather turned even worse and we weren't able to go to the Bay of Islands - we were both very disappointed.  Not to worry, lovely time was had and some very special memories I have now of this holiday with my mum.  
Old church - Dunedin (I think)


Mum and our tour guide in Dunedin

 

Napier - wonderful Art Deco buildings
 



No comments:

Post a Comment